Start a new topic

My T1 AMP

My T1 AMP

Sorry for the delay, I guess I forgot to add the pictures.

For the hidden amp I just used a giant fan

For my desktop amp I used a tiny fan (it is a little noisy, but works great).

Lately I have been having a problem where my deskop amp keeps killing the power switch (it stays on regardless of switch position). I assume this is due to the inductor on the Power Supply input side. Maybe I'll add a TVS diode next time I have to replace the switch. Ugh.
Okay, I replaced my "shark gill" top with a 120mm fan http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835214015

and some black steel mesh http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HXDVJS/

I also cut some holes in the front of the case near the heat sinks. The power supply has a differential 12V output which is perfect for the fan (just use aux GND and aux +). The fan spins only 900RPM and is extremely quiet.

I ran the amp for an hour at high volume (peak draw from outlet: 13.5Watts) and the case was cold. My infrared remote thermometer read 80F off the heatsinks.

--Bob

P.S. Unfortunately, my original power supply is fried. It produces 38V with no load, but it won't power the AMP. No signs of component damage, but it must have cooked itself prevously. Borrowed PS from my other amp. Fortunately the T1 survived.
Okay, I replaced my "shark gill" top with a 120mm fan http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835214015

and some black steel mesh http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HXDVJS/

I also cut some holes in the front of the case near the heat sinks. The power supply has a differential 12V output which is perfect for the fan (just use aux GND and aux +). The fan spins only 900RPM and is extremely quiet.

I ran the amp for an hour at high volume (peak draw from outlet: 13.5Watts) and the case was cold. My infrared remote thermometer read 80F off the heatsinks.

--Bob

P.S. Unfortunately, my original power supply is fried. It produces 38V with no load, but it won't power the AMP. No signs of component damage, but it must have cooked itself prevously. Borrowed PS from my other amp. Fortunately the T1 survived.
Just in case anyone is thinking about copying this setup, I have had some serious thermal issues. Make more ventilation!!! I have two of these, one is tucked away in a crawl space controlled by my automation system, and if I run it for more than an hour or use high volume settings, it will shutdown. After 24hrs it resets itself (really, 18hrs not enough). The other is on my desk and has not had a problem yet (but my office is small and the volume levels are lower).

I have purchased some fans for active ventilation and will post pictures when they are installed.

--Bob
Nice setup. I have bought the exact components as you did and I too find the output volume a bit low.
I recently purchased a T1 with ALPS POT and a SMPS300R.

I installed them into a 9.5" x 5" x 2" aluminum box (bud industries AC-403 from digikey.com). Using 2 jameco standoff kits (106551). I also added a couple of heatsinks (jameco 1115643) to the power supply MOSFETs. I don't know if they will help (considering they are on the front of the device), but it can't hurt, and it was easy.

The components just barely fit in 9.5" so perhaps using 10" would make things easier.

I also built an aluminum wall between the devices to help eliminate power supply noise. The power supply uses 4W when the AMP is off, so an external switch on the 120VAC hot line would be a nice addition.

The hardest part of the project was cutting ventilation slots into the cover (bud industries BPA-1590). I used a 4.5" angle grinder with a 1mm cutoff disk, but getting the slots even and cleaning the aluminum was a real pain. I'm still searching for a proper volume control knob.

I set the power supply at 38.3V and balanced the DC offset to near zero (on side was a bit out of spec at 30mv). So far the AMP sounds great. I drove it from my iPhone and wasn't able to hear any distortion at MAX volume. It was loud but not "turn it up to 11" loud. Probably not enough signal from the iPhone (300mv).

--Bob
Login or Signup to post a comment