Start a new topic

DDX320 questions (xover,power supply & speaker protection)

DDX320 questions (xover,power supply & speaker protection)

Hi,

A few questions please to clarify what I'd need for using the DDX320 in an active 3way build.

a) I understand the DDX is configured with a second order low pass and single order high pass filter when used in 2.1 mode. Reading the sta320 datasheet it seems possible to have both highpass and lowpass filter second order, would you be able to supply me a couple of amps configured like this please? (This is quite critical for me, due to the mid driver I am using I would need to run the Xover right up at its 380Hz setting and with a fairly steep roll off).

b) Is there speaker protection onboard or would I need to provide this externally?

c) Do the amps work nicely sharing a common SMPS power supply or do they need a dedicated supply per amplifier?

Rgds,

Rob.
Hi,

Agree for this Interesting questions : protection for the speaker or not ?

Do you use the DDX in a OB plan speaker for cut between bass and mid ? And a passive between mid and tweeter... but you talk about 3 way active, I don't understand ? why 2 SMPS : for using with 2 DDX sharing one digital source with a V wire ?
Hi,

Agree for this Interesting questions : protection for the speaker or not ?

Do you use the DDX in a OB plan speaker for cut between bass and mid ? And a passive between mid and tweeter... but you talk about 3 way active, I don't understand ? why 2 SMPS : for using with 2 DDX sharing one digital source with a V wire ?

Yes you have the right idea except I'll be using an active Xover up front to seperate mid and tweeter. I can then feed both of these to an OB DDX and (maybe) use the onboard Xover to split mid and bass (I can include the bass along with either just the mid or with both mid and tweeter as suits the Xover best). The critical thing for me though is that to do this with my mid I'll need the 2nd order highpass slope set (which the chip can do) and hifimediy have chosen the first order option as standard - as yet they haven't commented as to whether they will do this or even better make it user selectable so I'm in waiting mode :(
Just a bump hoping the original questions can be answered.
Hi,
a) it is possible to do that, however is not made like that on this batch.
b) There isn't speaker protection (relays) on board, however the chips has DC block function and other protection function. You can add external speaker protections if you like.
c) sorry that this is not tested yet.
Login or Signup to post a comment