Start a new topic

T1 amp and heat

T1 amp and heat

Hi,

I have a T1 amp - works great - but mine seems to run fairly hot. The heat sink gets hot to the touch, and eventually other components on the PC board get very warm too.

Leaving everything on the PC board as is, I've tried adding various heat sinks to the one that is on the PC board. The best so far, I had two spare RAM heatpipes. I cut and drilled their mount clamps, added a couple of screws and nuts, and bolt - clamped them onto the existing heat sink that comes with the T1.

I'm still using an underpowered power supply for it (I still have to buy an SMPS300) and it puts out about 24V, 5A,

120 Watts. Plus I don't run it very loud, being in an apartment. Anyhow, the heatpipes really lowered the heat - the other parts on the PC are all cool now, and the heatsink itself gets only somewhat warm to the touch. But again, I'm not really pushing the amp and mine is still underpowered.

Anyhow... again my amp has no problems - I've run it for really long times without added cooling, removing the heatpipes and it works fine, no problems.

But just wondering if added cooling would be a good thing for these amps, maybe easier on the components after years of use. Something that wouldn't cost a fortune, just a quick and easy heat sink upgrade.

Anyone have any thoughts on this ?

(Also I hope this makes sense - I'm not sure if these are translating understandably.)
What is the idle current draw of the amp?
Looks like 24 VDC -
I'm a total newbie, not sure if I measured it correctly - with no amp input and measured at the two screw terminals, where the power supply attaches.
Here's the T1 with a heatpipe added to the stock heatsink:

...and here's a heatsink I want to try:

I have a small bunch of heatsinks already, and the easiest thing would be to just toss a huge one on. But I don't want to stress or break the PC board, or add hangers or supports and possibly still break the PC board. The LED heatsink one is easy to tack other small heatsinks or heatpipes to with it's vertical top, and would only require minor cutting to size with a hacksaw.

Again I'm quite happy with the stock T1 and I like the stock heatsink, but mine's running hot and I'd like to get it barely warm to the touch. I'll know more about what to expect for heat with my speakers and such once I get an SMPS300 for it too.
24VDC is the voltage. I want to know the current. Which will tell us if excessive amounts of power being drawn at idle or if it is normal.
Hi and sorry I was afraid of that - I'd gotten a zero reading when I posted, but I had done it incorrectly.
I just tried again and it looks like 4.3 amps. It varies from .01 or .03 on up to 4.3, but it looks like 4.3 amps is the highest reading.

Just to check, how would I measure for that ? Like I'd said am a total novice, sorry if that question seems overly obvious.
thanks
PS:
Looking up how to measure that, not much luck so far, will keep searching.
You put your DMM in series with the supply, positive from PSU goes into the DMM and then from DMM to the amp.

It should be a steady reading unless music is playing or something is wrong.

Did you put the DMM across positive and negative supply in current measuring mode?
Thanks, couldn't find instructions anywhere. (I probably did, across-incorrectly, not for very long, but still..)

I measured as you said, with no music input, it read 0.17 amps steady.
That is 4W.

Some of that would be dissipated into the coils.

It's not overly excessive so the amp seems fine.

Can Hifimediy give the C/W rating for the heatsink?

Good thing the SMPS seems to have short circuit protection.
Thanks for the info.
The coils do warm a little but nothing excessive; just as you'd described.

I wrote to Hifimediy, will see if they have any info or not on the C/W rating.

Also yes and amazingly I still have an unfried amp and power supply. Will definitely check with others before trying any unfamiliar procedures in the future. Newbie mistakes, ouch.
My various speaker sets aren't hard to drive, mostly dome and cone sets, 87 to 90 dB sensitivity, all 8 ohm. Not super sensitive, but no difficult or exotic loads. Also have tall ribbons, but they're surprisingly easy to drive, 88 dB 7 ohm.

-----------------------

Cooling, I gave the RAM-cooler heatpipes many more good workouts (clamped to the stock heatsink). Various positions, using one or two heatpipes.

One heatpipe was okay, two even cooler. Thermal grease helps. One's better than nothing, really takes the edge off, but felt a little hot. Two got near barely warm to the touch, but not enough.

If the amp is used beyond casual listening levels, or driving more difficult loads, quick adding heatpipes could help but won't keep it at barely warm. I'd add them if I had one or more, not bad, but would look for something cooler.

Again, love the amp stock / wouldn't change a thing (another not nagging, no complaints plug) just got to messing with easy add-on cooling.
Seems a new heatsink design was incorporated into the latest T1 variant.

http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=110

I do wish they would opt for gold plating and black solder mask. Should not add mote then a $ or two. And look really nice.

Now I have even more reason to buy one.
Looks nice & interesting. Guess they got to wondering about heat too.

Read recently that pressfins ? (pins & pin-like fins) work better than fins - more of them and spaced; not sure if it's true.
New ones have more fins, thicker base, looks like.

Gold/black sounds really decent - ' course, easy for me to say from the looking not the building side of things - not to knock your ideas, more that they and you'd know more and I'd know less :) Sounds good.
Login or Signup to post a comment