Start a new topic

DDX320 - IR receiver responds to Samsung TV remote and messes up settings

DDX320 - IR receiver responds to Samsung TV remote and messes up settings

Hi there.

Yesterday I installed -- first time - a DDX320 in the living room.

Beside some other electronics I'm running a Sony 2011 TV.

The problem now is that the DDX randomly responds to the IR codes
of the Sony remote messing up the setup.

That's pretty annoying. Especially if you run the sound output of your TV into the DDX.

Both devices are basically unusable in the same room.

Any ideas what to do about it ?

(Cover the DDX IR diode with tape once settings are done, is not what I'd call a solution. ;) . Volume control and channel swap still needs to be done via DDX remote.)

THX

SC
Hi Soundcheck, and sorry about the very late reply. We have tried to look into this, but the only we can say by now is that there is nothing that can be done if another remote uses the same code as the DDX320.
I understand this is a major drawback. We're thinking about adding the learning mode so that people can use their own remote.
There is a way to restart the MCU. Short the RSR to GND at these pads near the DIP switches while powered on. See attachment50
Hi there.

Seems to be good that I reposted my problems at DIY-Audio. ;)

First of all Sorry. I made a mistake. I'm talking about a Sony TV remote from 2011 and not a Samsung. Still a major brand though. (Maybe you can change the thread title)

I do think all IR codes that do not belong to a device should be disregarded by the device

Some more findings.

Basically the Sony IR code scrambles the PIC settings that way that the amp won't play anymore. And set setting even gets saved.
Just a power-down/up to get the amp up'n running again won't work.

Currently I get the hanging amp up to work by powering it up with the ribbon wire disconnected once. That somehow resets that internal storage and my settings of course.

Ideas for a product update:

A poor workaround could be to turn off the IR with a switch once the setup is done. But that prevents remote volume control.
Maybe a feature for the next release.

Or you introduce kind of (rather) unique codes, which would be the clean solution.
hi again,

There is a "DFT" key on the ddx remote which will set the amp to default settings. Did you try that?
And the caps might have power in them keeping the mcu alive for a while after power down, but I assume you waited a longer time before powering back on.

We found that some of the blue displays had quality issues with uneven brightness. however the green/organe display we switched to later shouldn't have this issue.
hi again,

There is a "DFT" key on the ddx remote which will set the amp to default settings. Did you try that?

And the caps might have power in them keeping the mcu alive for a while after power down, but I assume you waited a longer time before powering back on..

I can't say for sure. I tried pretty much all keys.

The control unit seemed to be completely dead. The display didn't even turn on anymore.

I now covered the IR - LED

We found that some of the blue displays had quality issues with uneven brightness. however the green/organe display we switched to later shouldn't have this issue.

Hmmh. Bad luck as it seems. Medium quality respectively flawed boards are piling up over here.

Can't you check them (quality control) before you send them out ?? Sending them back would cost me a fortune.

Hmmh. Bad luck as it seems. Medium quality respectively flawed boards are piling up over here.

Can't you check them (quality control) before you send them out ?? Sending them back would cost me a fortune.

We do check all products, however we don't have the ressources to do an as long and profound testing period when developing a new product as the big producers would do. The first display worked normally when we tested it, and it was later that we found this problems.

We do understand that the problems make this a bad experience for the buyers, and we would of course prefer to avoid that.

We could send you (and others with a problem with the display) a replacement display board, contact us about this.

Sadly there is no solution to the IR receiver problem for the current design other than to warn about this issue.
We do check all products, however we don't have the ressources to do an as long and profound testing period when developing a new product as the big producers would do. The first display worked normally when we tested it, and it was later that we found this problems.

Every manufacturer has a quality end control in the production process. It's not enough to have your prototypes tested.

There are other complaints out their, complaining about soldering issues. Production quality control is a different thing.

Anyhow.

We do understand that the problems make this a bad experience for the buyers, and we would of course prefer to avoid that.

We could send you (and others with a problem with the display) a replacement display board, contact us about this.

THX for the offer. I might get back to it if you release a new (stereo?) and further improved release of the DDX one day. This way you can keep the cost down. Right now I have the display turned off and the IR DIODE covered. The whole thing is of no use anyhow.

Sadly there is no solution to the IR receiver problem for the current design other than to warn about this issue.

I understand that. I mentioned before that you really should consider a firmware upgrade process via USB or similar for products that come with PICs to get firmware issues fixed.
Many people e.g. ask for I2S input on the DDX. Something like that functionality could probably also be fixed/introduced with a firmware change.

THX for your open feedback.

There's always space for improvement. ;)

Cheers
Every manufacturer has a quality end control in the production process. It's not enough to have your prototypes tested.

There are other complaints out their, complaining about soldering issues. Production quality control is a different thing.

Hi again,
just want to add that I did mean that we do check every single board also, but that some issues starts after a while.
Still, we will try to learn from this experience.
Hi,
Does Nick or anyone happen to know whether the remote for a Sony BDP-S490 Blu-ray player will interfere with the DDX?
Thanks.
Login or Signup to post a comment