Start a new topic

UD50 + Async USB ??

UD50 + Async USB ??

Hi Nick.

Can we expect a big brother for the UD20 this year???

A UD50 (or UD125) would be nice with 50W output power and asynchronous USB interface.

It shouldn't be really complicated to develop for you guys.

You've got all the parts spread on other products.

20W I consider kind of insufficiant.

Since I own the DDX320, I wouldn't be tempted to go for a 20W gadget.

With 50/125W and asynch USB though, I'd be tempted. ;)

Cheers
Hi,
we have just made a sample for a UD80 ! It actually 80W but might be limited to 50-60W depending on the regulator used. It's asynchronous and comes in same shape/box as the ud20.
It seems to work and sound very nice. We will continue with this after the Chinese New Year Holiday.
Hi,
we have just made a sample for a UD80 ! It actually 80W but might be limited to 50-60W depending on the regulator used. It's asynchronous and comes in same shape/box as the ud20.
It seems to work and sound very. We will continue with this after the Chinese New Year Holiday.

Great news.

" ..sound very..." ??? NICE I'd guess. ;)

As soon as it is out I'll place an order (Of course I'll have a look at the price-tag first ;) ).

It's gonna be interesting to compare it to my slightly tweaked DDX320 v2.

Please make sure that the USB receiver is compatible with Linux. It'll be the perfect device to hook up on a Raspberry Pi or Android or similar.
In my case I finally wouldn't need a USB-SPDIF converter that I use for the DDX320 anymore.

You might check out Volumio on RPI as source for testing.

I wish you some nice holidays.

Cheers
Hi, yes that was supposed to say sounds very nice :) fixed it now
The USB receiver is still SA9023 which should work on linux and Raspberry Pi although the uae23/sa9023 doesn't seem to work on all Rasperry Pi distributions for some reason.
Hi, yes that was supposed to say sounds very nice :) fixed it now

The USB receiver is still SA9023 which should work on linux and Raspberry Pi although the uae23/sa9023 doesn't seem to work on all Rasperry Pi distributions for some reason.

Usually all those different distributions run different kernels, thus different USB audio drivers respectively Alsa revisions. If you run ArchLinux you'll always have the very latest drivers on board.

Gotta question:

Are you turning all DSP options off in your STA 320 setup?

With the DDX320/STA320 I experience "much" better results when feeding it with upsampled 96khz material, despite the losses

associated to upsampling in general.

I guess there are two reasons.

1. I'm passing the Stage 1 oversampling by. All rates except 88.2 and 96 get oversampled by the ST320

And I guess my external upsampler is better then that used by the STA320.

2. The default PWM speed frequency of the STA320 is 384khz. That's 4*96khz. It's an even multiple. There's nothing like 8*44.1 or 4*88.2 or similar.

The uneven conversion might also better be done by an external resampler.

Question have you tried the PWM Speed setting "odd" at 341,3 kHz???

Ah. One more. I saw you use now different output coils ( also shielded I guess) on the DDX320 in the latest revision. On the UD20 you've been using a different type.

Are there any differences between those to be expected?? Did you come to a conclusion about the best type of coil?

Hmmh. Isn't the Savitech SA9023 an "Adaptive" receiver???

Cheers
Login or Signup to post a comment