Start a new topic

Android lollipop and Sabre Dac compatibility

Android lollipop and Sabre Dac compatibility

My Sabre USB DAC ES9023 worked perfecly with Android 4.42 kit kat. I recently migrated to Lollipop and now the Dac sounds choppy as in two notes of music, buzz, a note of music way off time, more buzz. I assume it's a driver issue. My Samsung tablet seems to recognize the DAC, just something odd is going on with the pairing.

Will there be Android Lollipop drivers for the USB ES9023?

I know a lot of people are suddenly having DAC issues with Lollipop, so it's not just hifimediy products.
That was bad news.. Lollipop was supposed to make android audio better, not worse..
There are no drivers to install as these are included with the kernel in the software by the OS maker (samsung).
It's probably a first problem related to the new system, which hopefully will be improved (soon) with OS updates.
That was bad news.. Lollipop was supposed to make android audio better, not worse..

There are no drivers to install as these are included with the kernel in the software by the OS maker (samsung).

It's probably a first problem related to the new system, which hopefully will be improved (soon) with OS updates.
It might work to install another kernel, however this is a bit complicated and not something we can assist with. Search at forum.xda-developers.com if you are interested in looking into this.

You could use an external USB hub with connected power supply. However then you would need the recgular USB version, not the android dac with microUSB.
It might be that the dac is not powerful enough for your headphones.
I also put a question up about it at XDA forum, but haven't gotten anything useful back. Hopefully, someone will figure it out soon. I'd like to be able to use the dac for movies.

Back to the cell phone running kit kat.. I simply used a different android program (AIMP) to play my music and whatever the issue with the standard Google music software app was went away with my cell phone. The Sabre Dac is terrific btw. Whatever comes through the cell phone is now much better articulated I can hear pedal effects with the piano, whether it's two violins playing the same notes in a string quartet instead of one, all that fun stuff. Paired with the Xiaomi Piston 3's, the Sabre Dac makes a terrific on the go combination. It's been interesting to compare the output via bluetooth receiver, direct connection to the phone's audio jack, and via the Dac. It's too bad someone just doesn't build it into a tablet or cell phone. If only people cared as much about the audio resolution as they do about their screen resolution.

QUOTE=nick;630It might work to install another kernel, however this is a bit complicated and not something we can assist with. Search at forum.xda-developers.com if you are interested in looking into this.

You could use an external USB hub with connected power supply. However then you would need the recgular USB version, not the android dac with microUSB.

It might be that the dac is not powerful enough for your headphones.
Login or Signup to post a comment