Start a new topic

9018 output delay issue

9018 output delay issue

1 person has this question

@Hifime - Are you working on a new 9018 model? It's what I had heard; is it true?

@Bill Street - Thanks!

@Hifime - I understand you're working on a new 9018 model that will be more expensive and have more features than the 9018D. Will that new model have the setting and the V version chip like the 9018D (or any other fixes for the delay)?

Do you know how much the new model will cost, or features?

Thanks again.

@James Yang, yes both a setting and the V version chip in the newer 9018D has much reduced delay. 

I believe its the current production run of the 9018D that have the new implementation of the chip. Should be what's shipping now. Nick, you can correct me if I'm wrong about that.

@Nick

The delay has been reduced to about 0.1 second on newest es9018k2m chip used in recent production.

Which models have this newest chip (and which ones don't)?

Is this the same thing that you were talking about here (0.1 sec delay, and much lower fade in, are both in the same new chip -- they are one and the same)?

The newer produced unit uses another version of the chip (V vs W) which enables a much lower fade in. 

Thx.

@Bill Street,

this is the 9018D model (with a display right)? The workaround is to set the samplerate to 192kHz or 384kHz. The newer produced unit uses another version of the chip (V vs W) which enables a much lower fade in. 

I tried another brand dac that uses this same chipset and there is no delay in starting playing audio and no audible worse sound at the start. Is there a firmware or driver fix you can offer? on the SABER9018 USB DAC D I get about 3 seconds of silence before the song comes in. 

I like the other features on the HiFiMe Dac but the clipping of songs is a deal breaker. Is there a way to compensate for this, or to try a new driver package? I'd really rather stick with this Dac.

Is there a way we can get around this setting the buffer in Foobar for example? 

That's great to hear!

Because of the delay issue with the (first?) version I have, I had to quit using it as the delay in daily use was rather... annoying, especially with YouTube videos in web browsers where the first second was silent.

The delay has been reduced to about 0.1 second on newest es9018k2m chip used in recent production.

However, this quicker unmute function has some bugs, it seems to often add noise when this new setting is selected. So we have to recommend to use the normal longer unmute setting for now.
No this is a setting in the DAC, so it's not possible. However on the new version of 9018D we have added a setting so you can chose the delay. Either shorter delay with slighter higher distortion, or longer delay with better distortion.

Interesting. So on the new 9018D with this new delay selection setting, I can achieve what I'm looking for when selecting the shorter delay? Meaning no audible delay when first starting playback? Is the setting saved within the hardware so I can use other OSes without issue too?
Just wondering, does the UH1 suffer from the same 'issue' since it's using a TI chip?
No, this is related to the ES9018k2m chip, and doesn't occur in PCM5102.
How do you increase the buffer system-wide on Windows, Mac and Linux if it's possible?
No this is a setting in the DAC, so it's not possible. However on the new version of 9018D we have added a setting so you can chose the delay. Either shorter delay with slighter higher distortion, or longer delay with better distortion.
Just wondering, does the UH1 suffer from the same 'issue' since it's using a TI chip?
Login or Signup to post a comment